Saturday, January 26, 2013

IRON & GRAFF

Yeah, I know the title of this blog sounds like the name of some 7th grade urban metal band, (or maybe a certain political party?) but really this post is a showcase of a lot of the amazing graffiti and wrought iron I have seen in my travels  around Buenos Aires and in Uruguay.
Pretty much every building has its share of ironwork and many also are covered with amazing graffiti and street art. Technically graffiti is illegal in Buenos Aires and elsewhere but there is a tacit agreement to allow it in some public places and sometimes on private buildings. Legal or otherwise it certainly makes any city walkabout worth while so I made a point to never leave the Rachael's house without my camera and I was never disappointed.



Here is a gallery of some of my favorite pieces of art as well as some of the exquisite wrought iron I encountered.







GRAFF














¡MARADONA!







TRIBUTE TO THE 9 PERUVIAN MINERS
"THERE WAS A BIG MIRACLE THERE...


RACHAEL BEING MURALIZED
¡DUCK!


                     
For a really good description of the graffiti street culture in Buenos Aires check out this link:
http://www.expanish.com/blog/2012/06/graffiti-culture-in-buenos-aires/

IRON
                                        







                        
EVEN THE INSULATORS ARE ARTISTIC IN BUENOS AIRES!

   Ok, that's your art lesson for today.
ciao for now,
j


No comments:

Post a Comment